turkey talk

Saturday, May 10, 2008

Traveling today


Today, I am using an old picture of me and the turkey. I love my sister's turkey. Seeing him is like running into an old friend. He poofs out in all his best dress and parades around trying to impress me with all his plumage. Last time, he didn't gobble as much and that kind of had me concern. I know he is feeling his oats when he gobbles alot. My sister is happy with the new set of baby chicks which are growing into regular sized hens and some are exotic looking. Yesterday, I was mom's traveling companion while she drove around to different body shops getting estimates on what it would cost to fix a few rust spots on the roof of her car. Living on the coast, we have this constant battle with rust. We lost a couple of bicycles, because the body just rusted out. She found someone in town that gave her a reasonable price, but won't be ready to take her car until June. She is using some clear tape to cover the rust spots until it is fixed. Today we are traveling to Daytona to get the vacuum cleaner fixed. Mom also bought a new microwave yesterday to replace the one that quit working. The new microwave has dingy bells and one touch features that so many things can be cooked without punching in a time. However, we do have to take caution to the fact that a higher power level really heats water super hot. The power level being new really heats stuff so we have to learn what works with the lower power levels. Mom has picked some gardenias from the gardenia bush. She wants me to get a picture of the bush this morning with the sunlight on it. The crow family is still next door in the swinging palm tree. I wish them well, raising a family under such windy conditions. Mom also paid for a hair cut for me at Fantastic Cuts which was five bucks. Reasonable rates to have this one look which is in the picture while other hair salons charge thirty dollars. The hair cut took only five minutes and my head did feel a lot lighter. Today is also Jenna's wedding day which has been all over the news. This is a private affair held at the Crawford Ranch and I sure will look super rich. How many girls do I know that can afford a Oscar De La Renta dress with oodles of brides maids. Star trek isn't on today, because it is the weekend. The Gun Smoke show is on with James Arness. Yesterday, mom and I also watched a bunch of old Andy Griffith shows and they were good filled with simple town values and people who were nice neighbors. This is one thing you don't get on the regular news. You also don't get Sheriff's like Andy Taylor and Deputies like Barnie Fife. What a nicer world if we had more people like them.

1 Comments:

  • At 7:17 AM, Blogger Lew said…

    The picture may also be wishful thinking. With the heat reaching 94 degrees today, a swimming pool looks pretty inviting. And the sun should have heated the water up a little also.
    Yes, rust is also what finally "did in" an old pickup truck that I use to have in Miami. It got so bad that not only did the rain come in but rays of sunshine would shine in also. The truck had 140,000 miles on it and ran fine. So I ended up giving it to a nephew of mine who lives in Lakeland. He was going to use it to pull his racecar to the racetrack there in Lakeland. The truck had so many numerous rust spots on it that I referred to them as "the disease". I am sure that the truck by now has gone to the scrap metal yard and been recycled. Probably into a Cadillac, or so I would like to think because the truck had served me so faithfully. I got the truck when I lived in Arizona and took it across the desert and along mountain roads. Arizona is nice in that the bottom half of the state is desert and the top half is cool mountains and woods.
    Let me say that I am glad to have read your blog this morning. I was feeling sorry for myself because of the problem with the car (not running well). But after having read your blog and seeing all of the numerous problems I consider myself fortunate to have only the one problem with the car. I like the Andy Griffith show also. You are right it portrays a simpler time. Although it was called the Andy Griffith show, my favorite character was Barney. I worked at a Catholic hospital in Phoenix, AZ called St. Joseph's. The hospital had their own security guards. The guards carried a gun. We had one security guard who was the spittin' image of Barney Fife. Even had a long holster so the gun flopped around low on his leg. The guard was showing another employee his gun one evening in the parking lot outside of the emergency room. He accidentally dropped the gun and it fired when it hit the cement. No one was hurt but the hospital took the guns away from the security guards and gave them cans of mace to use instead. The whole scene was so much like Barney what with dropping the gun and all. Remember that Andy let Barney have only one bullet and made him keep the bullet in his shirt pocket? And of course I had Mrs. Benson across the street from the house that I grew up in. She was a real sweet woman and a clone of Aunt Bee right down to the wearing of the apron all of the time. Gotta go. Got some work to do outside before it gets hot. If you go to your sisters for Mother's Day be sure to enjoy the pool. Lew

     

Post a Comment

<< Home