turkey talk

Monday, May 05, 2008

Monday starts a new week


Sunday, mom and I did go to the festival at the Marine Discovery Center. We went in the middle of the day when it was so hot. Mom found a parking spot along the side of the road where the festival was and we walked over to it where a band was playing in the distance. However, before we left the car, mom made sure the sun visor was in place on the windshield so the car wouldn't be so hot when we came back after our day's activities. There were about three roles of small tents set up where people were selling all sorts of crafty things. One booth was knitted bikinis another was Indian raw hide stuff. There was a couple of jewelry booths and two booths which were advertising books that the authors had wrote. There was a picture opportunity which I missed which was a scraggly curly haired young guy in baggy shorts with a press pass draped over his head and two huge cameras with extended long lenses draped over each shoulder and he was talking on a cell phone in the middle of a very hot day. There was also a short role of restaurant booths. Aunt Catfish was giving away free samples of their key lime pie which was real rich and you could taste the ego brand milk which was sweet and the graham cracker crust which was also sweet. Fortunately, the sample was small so I didn't feel so guilty about eating a small sliver of pie. However, I did have the chicken Alfredo with peas from Dolce restaurant which was only a couple of dollars. It tasted bland. It looked good and smelled good, but it tasted bland. There was no flavor. There was a Woody's Barbeque set across the small road, but they didn't seem to have any garlic toast which I loved so well from Sonny's Barbeque. Plus they only had pulled pork which I like sliced pork and some real crispy fries. This booth in the picture had the Navy band playing jazz tunes from the Glen Miller band and some Stevie Wonder from the 1970's era. The picture also has a local representative in the distance named Susan Kosmos. Mom says she is leaving office so you won't see her at any more functions. However, she was a good announcer with a few positive things to say about the Marine Discovery Center. There was a pet cat underneath the eating tent which I was eating the bland meal. I did take a short video, but I couldn't load it on the blog. The cat's name was Charley and he was a typical long haired black cat that didn't show up too well on the video. However, the owner beamed with pride when she knew I was taking a picture of her cat. She wanted to make sure the cat was looking at the camera. The cat was in a light weight cat harness with a light weight leash attached to it. She opt. to carry her pet kitty. I guess with the heat and other doggies it wasn't a bad idea. The cat was very calm and didn't act ugly at all. It was amazing to see a well behaved kitty out in public. I did also miss the picture of the South Bridge where you could see the whole South Bridge with traffic running across it. Plus the sailboats and other boats running underneath the bridge. It was just too hot and I felt like it was a full day; even though, I didn't spend a full day at the Riverside Festival. I do believe I got the value of the dollar listening to the Navy band. They were really pretty good. I saw an old guy stagger up and try to dance. I could also see two cold beers on the table behind him. Also, when the band played a patriotic song the old guy and another old guy stood up and had their hands on their hearts like they were saying the pledge of allegiance, so I figured they were veterans of past wars. Mom and I got to talk with the guys at the Coast Guard display about their search and rescue boat. It was kind of cool looking and they were real proud of it. They let the visitors climb the ladder and look inside. When mom and I went back to the car which was warm, but not too hot, Mom backed out carefully. We were accident free and I came home tired a bit cranky, because I had a line of clothes to be taken down. It was getting late and I was the one to take the clothes down. After I came in mom made a nice chicken salad sandwich and a small salad which was dinner and the end of the Sunday adventure.

2 Comments:

  • At 4:29 PM, Blogger Lew said…

    You mentioned about the hot weather. I agree. When I go outside in the mornings now it is cool and then it gets hot later in the day. So at least the mornings are cool. I am dreading when I go outside in a month or two and it is hot and gets even hotter as the day goes.
    I use to enjoy eating at the food booths at the street festivals, but they have raised their prices so much I don't do it anymore. Speaking of eating, tomorrow is Cicci's day. We are going there for supper and I will have as much barbecue pizza that I am able to eat. It is my favorite. Cicci's has relocated to a strip center across the street from Health Central Hospital. Also we are going to Wal-Mart to restock the fridge.
    I also see that you are a "sample" person. I do the same thing when I go to West Oaks Mall. I get a sample of Chinese from someone standing in front of the eatery giving the samples away. Then it is on to bourbon chicken, then japanese teryaki chicken, and then finally cuban chicken. By that time my appetite has been sated.
    Take care and being "greene" on using a solar dryer (clothesline) for drying your clothes. Lew

     
  • At 8:24 PM, Blogger Lillian said…

    What an interesting festival. I would liked to have seen the cat.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home