turkey talk

Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Tuesday is Election day for Indiana and North Carolina


This picture is the place where I buy raw gallberry honey. It is a honor paid system where you leave your money in the slot and take the honey that you paid . You don't have contact with anyone, because they don't seem to be there. I was first introduced to gallberry honey at a vegetable stand on State Road 415 in Volusia County, Florida. This vegetable stand had a lot of home grown vegetables and a few imports and reasonable honey. Later the vegetables were less home grown and more imports and the honey price got to more than what I would say is reasonable. My mom and I discovered this place in Olsteen, Florida based on the label of the honey jar. The prices were lower and no one bothered you as long as you didn't bother no one. The people at the vegetable stand use to brag on the gallberry honey stopping allergies. I have noticed a difference. I don't sneeze as much, but I cough a lot. I missed my Mash shows on tv this morning, but I guess that is the price for sleeping in. I have also notice that daylight is coming a lot sooner than I expected. I guess I have one issue to gripe about and that is the lack of funding for education. There was one movie quote I remember "No Bucks, No Buck Rogers". I find it a crying shame when you have to lay off teachers when kids need to be molded into useful adults.When the public officials lay off teachers then they loose the right to complain, when the FCAT goals are not achieved. There are some things that should not be touched and the right to a good education is one of those things. Education means opportunity to reach for something better in the job market or better in self learning or just maybe both. Yesterday was a beef stew for dinner day. Mom stated that the vegetables were grown in Mexico that we used in the beef stew. This was how we celebrated Cinco De Mayo (The fifth of May).

1 Comments:

  • At 6:04 AM, Blogger Lew said…

    I wonder where the beehives are kept. I had a similar situation in San Diego. An employee kept bees as a hobby. Then people started calling when a swarm would start a colony under the eaves of their house or in a tree. She would transfer them to an empty hive that she had and take them home (she must have lived in the country with no neighbors). As word spread the number of hives kept growing until she had so much honey she didn't know what to do with it all. So she would sell it to fellow employees in the hospital for an extremely low price. Practically give-away price. You had to supply the jar. Bring the jar in, give it to her, and the next day she would return it filled to the brim with honey. The sci-fi book Alas Babylon has a section on bee keeping. The story takes place in Mt. Dora and is a post-apocalyptic, post nuclear war story of survival of a small community in central Florida. The author actually lived in Mt. Dora and is said to have based the community on Mt. Dora. If you haven't read it, check it out from the library or get a copy from a used book store (not a thrift store). It is a great book and is one of my favorites.
    So how come we don't have enough money for the schools? I thought that the Lotto was suppose to go to the school. I would like to see an accounting of just where and how the money from the sale of lottery tickets is spent. Investing in students is investing in the future. But the attitudes of the students may have to change a little. I met students from Japan who were attending the University of Miami. They told me how shocked they were of the destructive nature of American students: grafitti, knocking holes in walls, etc. They couldn't understand why they would destroy and vandalize the public restrooms on campus when those very same students would have to use the restrooms also.
    Tonight is supper at Cicci's night. Lucky me. Lew

     

Post a Comment

<< Home