turkey talk

Monday, November 24, 2008

Weekend stuff


I was traveling along Atlantic Avenue when I noticed a group of pelicans traveling in formation and keeping up with the speed I was going. I looked at my speedometer and it said thirty five miles per hour. I figured no wonder I had trouble taking pictures of pelicans in flight. They were traveling on the wind currents at thirty five miles per hour. It wasn't until I turned off Atlantic Avenue I lost track of the pelicans. I stopped for lunch at Manny's, one of the last couple of Italian restaurants in the area. I had a real nice courteous waitress. She brought me my lunch order of spaghetti with garlic toast and unsweetened ice tea. The spaghetti was fixed by a cook who wore his baseball cap backwards. He didn't look like he had an ounce of Italian blood in him, unless he had a blood transfusion. He looked like a beach bar attendee who would hang out at Peanuts bar on the North end of the beach. He wanted to throw out the spaghetti because he stated there was too much of it. The hot spaghetti came in a small dish with a thick layer of mozzarella cheese melted on top of the tomato sauce. The spaghetti was buried on the bottom of the dish. The tomato sauce had a tangy acid flavor which I tried to get rid of with the Parmesan cheese the waitress left me. The garlic toast turned out to curb the acid flavor more than the Parmesan cheese. I consumed the garlic toast very slowly, so I could stretch out the garlic flavor. I ate the whole portion of spaghetti in the small dish. It seemed perfect for lunch. I was tired of Chinese food. I do like Chinese and the one place with the buffet has a lot of items to over stuff me. I like Italian a little better than Mexican. I still hold a resentment to DJ's Burrito for taking over Vincenzo's Italian restaurant. DJ's seems to be doing pretty good with the beach crowds and I guess they deserve the guest. I will simply have to cook my own Italian stuff at home. I will order Domino's pizza, if I have enough loose dollars to spare. However, lots of times frozen pizza with lots of loose side items like mushrooms, onions, olives and green peppers are added. In the times of great job loss, a courteous bag boy is someone greatly appreciated by me the customer. I got to sample two bag boys one from Winn Dixie and the other from Publix. At Winn Dixie I bought two double rolls of toilet paper in separate packages. I paid for the items and the bag boy who was kind of young and good looking tossed my packages into the shopping cart. I asked him if I could have them bagged. "Bagged ?" He placed the first package into the plastic bag the wrong way followed by the statement " Sweet." He bagged the second one and I said "Thank you." His reply was nothing. I made my way out to the car where another bag boy was picking up carts. He did not bother to ask me if he could help me out with the groceries and take my cart. Instead, he went by my cart with me placing my bags inside. I left my cart sideways in the next parking space. He came back and scooped up the cart and took off back towards the store. When I went to Publix, I got two items one was milk and the other was Karo syrup for making pies. The meat guy had to help me get the Karo syrup. It was on the third shelf and I was too short to reach the item. When I paid for the Karo syrup and the milk, the bag boy asked me if I found what I needed. I told him "yes." He asked me if I needed help out to the car. I thanked him and said "no I did not need help." He then told me to have a nice day. This bag boy was also mentally challenged. I could pick this up from his slowed speech. He did a far superior job than the bag boy from Winn Dixie. I left Publix feeling pretty good verses leaving Winn Dixie knowing I had been to the drudge of grocery stores. I also notice no one smiles at the check out lane in Winn Dixie. Speaking of smiles, this is a sunset picture from the North end of New Smyrna Beach. There were young high school students braving the cool weather in jeans and thin summer tops. Chasing each other and picking on an older guy by asking him for money. The girls claimed they hadn't eaten for three days. Mom knew this was a major made up story. Mom and I came home before it got too dark. Mom cooked scallops, corn on the cob and a green melody of vegetables. We settled afterward on television flip the channel watching.

1 Comments:

  • At 3:40 PM, Blogger Lew said…

    You mention that the cook wanted to throw out the spaghetti because there was too much of it. If that was the case, then he should have given you a larger portion rather than waste it. I remember working in the grocery store and seeing all those rotisserie chickens get thrown out every four hours. What a waste. They could have put them into the employee’s break room for them to eat but they wouldn’t do that. However, I was in McDonalds once and had ordered a hot fudge sundae. The man next to me had ordered two sundaes. The girl brought him two caramel sundaes. He refused them saying that he had ordered hot fudge sundaes. She didn’t know what to do with the two caramel sundaes so she offered one to me and one to another customer. We accepted and I had two sundaes, a hot fudge which I had ordered and a free caramel. Actually, it was an excellent opportunity to do a taste comparison on the them. The hot fudge sundae is definitely better than a caramel sundae. But then I must admit that I am a chocoholic who believes that you can make anything taste good if you just pour some chocolate syrup over it. As for the tangy spaghetti sauce, I grew up on it. My mother always made her spaghetti sauce using a seasoning packet of spices from French’s for making spaghetti sauce. It also was always tangy and acidic and I didn’t care for it. Then along came Ragu. A nice sweet sauce that isn’t acidic. I have had it on my spaghetti ever since and I never seem to tire of it. And how about the Parmesan cheese? I got a plastic jar of the Parmesan and the bottle said Parmesan-style topping. It looked like grated Parmesan cheese. It even tasted like Parmesan cheese. But upon examining the ingredients section of the label I discovered that there wasn’t any cheese in it at all. Just a whole bunch of hydrogenated oils. I will be more careful when buying Parmesan cheese from now on and check the label. After all, like the old saying goes, fool me once, shame on them. Fool me twice, shame on me. By the way I got that from an old Star Trek episode of the original series. As far as Chinese food goes, I am crazy about it and just never seem to tire of it, especially Chinese buffets because then I can try all kinds of different things. Since Sonny’s closed, eating barbeque out has all but evaporated. The barbeque pizza at Cicci’s is pretty good. Do you have a Cicci’s in New Smyrna. It is a buffet and usually with buffets I try to sample different things. But at Cicci’s I stick with a salad and the barbeque pizza. Tonight here at home it is chili and cornbread muffins. Tomorrow is lamb at the Holiday House for lunch. The kitten checked out fine and we are feeding the kitten solid food at the recommendation of the veterinarian. Don’t ask what the vet bill was. The kitten goes back in two weeks for her vaccinations. The veterinary office confirmed that it was a female. And the bag boys at Winn Dixie and Publix? When I worked at Supersaver, they paid their stock clerks minimum wage which was at that time $ 7.00/hr. Winn Dixie may be the same. However at that time the stock clerks at Publix were being paid $ 9+ per hour. So by paying a much higher hourly rate, Publix gets the cream of the crop, the best employees. That is probably why there was a dramatic difference. Plus I have always felt that the attitude of the employees is a reflection of management. Either management is mean or too hard on the employees which makes the employee have a bad attitude. Or management allows the employees to have a bad attitude. I would shop at Publix all the time if only their prices weren’t so high. Time to go. Have a nice day and an even better supper. Lew

     

Post a Comment

<< Home