turkey talk

Friday, November 21, 2008

Adventure in Osteen


I am enjoying my first cup of coffee with my new jar of Gall berry honey bought yesterday in the town of Osteen, Florida. The honey makes the coffee taste so good. The Gall berry honey is suppose to be good for allergies which I have quite often. I enjoyed mom's article about Bikes Inc. I found it to be very informative. She did an excellent job of gathering information from the bike group when they were outside the Osteen diner. She even told them I wanted to take their picture so they posed in a line. I thought the picture turned out real good. This picture was a bit less formal. I caught mom talking to one of the main people involved in the organized bike ride. He filled her in on all the details about the bike riding club and gave her the website which I checked out. It does look pretty formal. I liked lunch at the Osteen Diner which was fried chicken, french fries, apple sauce and bland green beans. They even tossed in some cold dinner rolls with a couple of pads of butter. Mom had an all vegetable plate with some spicy okra which she didn't like. She bought lunch and I bought the honey. I talked with the son of the lady who operated the honey place. His name was Jack. Mom had to search around the property for him. He was in the vegetable garden and he gave mom some sweet potatoes. He came back to drop off more jars of Gall berry honey. I bought three big jars and one small jar of Orange blossom to replace the honey I borrowed out of my sister's jar at home. I planned to give her Orange blossom honey because it is her favorite. Jack gave a little history which I will try to recall. It won't be as informative as the article mom wrote, but I will do what is possible. Jack said he was born in 1951 and the bee hive was started as a Future Farmers of America project in 1963 by his brother. When his brother left for the Air Force after High School the hives had multiplied many times over. The top count of hives they had was 4000. However, now it is like 300 with some located on the West Coast of Florida. When Jack's brother went to the Air Force the bee hive project was taken over by Jack's mom. She still is the main person, but Jack helps out where ever he can. He stated he was rebuilding the septic tank while we were there. Mom noticed he had a back brace and I noticed the big hole in the ground. He kidded about going to Deltona to shower up until this project got fixed to a former classmate who stopped by for some honey. Osteen seems like a small community where people look after each other. It is rare to see some new business pop up like the Dollar General which mom and I tried to see. The Dollar General was loaded with cars, but they weren't officially open yet. Mom saw a sign saying they wouldn't be open until Monday. She was looking for some spare cheap light bulbs which we usually keep on hand. I noticed the Dollar General had four fancy new air conditioning units outside the building. However, I was critical of the construction of the building. The building looked cheaply made to me. It had the siding and the aluminum roof which tornadoes love to destroy. Mom and I missed the Thanksgiving lunch group from her former office which met at the Holiday House in Orlando. However, I do think we had an enriching experience. We learned more about what makes a person's life full and complete. This is one lesson which doesn't get taught at a lunch in Orlando.

1 Comments:

  • At 7:02 AM, Blogger Lew said…

    The woman to the right of the man wearing the blue pants, red shirt, and blue helmet has a bike with little itty bitty wheels on it. I wonder if she has to pedal faster than the others to keep up. I agree with your sister Glendon that orange blossom honey has the best flavor. I am not sure if the honey comes from hives located in orange groves and thus the name or if they just simply add some orange flavor to the honey. I find orange blossom honey to be a mild honey unlike the dark honey's. It's amazing that their honey business started from simple beginnings as a school Future Farmers of America project and just grew and grew. It is good because we need all the bees in this country that we can get so long as they are not africanized. By the way, we had Future Famers of America in our high school. Since we were a rural agricultural area, our high school had classes in agriculture. Most of the boys taking the agriculture classes belonged to the Future Farmers of Ammerica (FFA). As part of their membership in FFA they got these blue corduroy jackets with their name embroidered on the front and a huge FFA emblem in gold embroidered on the back. I always wanted one of those jackets because they looked so neat but I wasn't willing to take courses in agriculture. My time was spent in math and science courses. I guess that I could have joined FFA without taking the agriculture classes but that would have probably looked dumb. Mary and I shop at Dollar General and Family Dollar for the bargains. After all, a penny saved is a penny earned. And if you save enough pennies, you can ghet a chocolate soft serve ice cream at Twistee Freeze. Yummy. Have a nice day. Lew

     

Post a Comment

<< Home