turkey talk

Sunday, September 14, 2008

Moonlit weekend



Amtrak doesn't have a train that could run straight through to Indiana. I was looking last night and saying to myself "supposing if mom and I could go how much would it cost?" I learned it would be a two day ordeal just to get there. First mom and I would take a train say from De land and it goes to Washington D.C. and there is a three hour layover. When the second train comes mom and I would continue the journey from Washington D.C. to either Lafayette, Indiana or Indianapolis, Indiana. The cost is cheaper going by way of coach which is just two reclining chairs by a window. If we chose to upgrade, it would be more costly. The upgrade could run close to a thousand dollars or the chair close to five hundred for round trip. I know many years ago when I traveled on a train we would have a direct route. The cost for a bedroom would probably equal the amount for a coach now round trip. I also learned the bedrooms are the first items snatched up by customers. When I was looking on the Internet the bedrooms were sold out. Some people do know how to travel in luxury.
The picture is the moon taken when the sun went down the night before last night. We were by the beach and it was too high in the sky to capture it over water.

1 Comments:

  • At 3:35 PM, Blogger Lew said…

    Mary and I went to New York on Amtrak. The seats were large like first class in an airplane. But sitting in a seat and sleeping in a seat for 22 hours was terrible. After the first six hours I just couldn't get comfortable. When we finally got to the motel in New York, the first thing I did was to take a shower. Plus having to pay for the meals. The sit-down meals at a table in the dining car are pricey. If you go to the club car and get hamburgers heated in a microwave the prices aren't too bad. The train constantly rocks from side to side so it is a little difficult walking up the aisles at times. And stepping from one car to another where they join is a trip. The floor of the car that you are standing on with your left foot is rocking to the right and the car that you are about to step into with your right foot is rocking to the right. Keeping your balance is difficult at best. I won't mention the condition of the restrooms. Take the plane and fly. You till be much better off. A train trip is fun for about four hours and at six hours it is no longer tolerable. Plus now you would probably wonder if the person driving the train is text messaging on his cell phone. Since there was only one track when we went to New York there were times our train would pull off at a siding which was extremely close to the single track and stop and wait for a freight to pass that was coming at a head on direction. It was scarry when the freight train would fly by. Other than all of the above, it wasn't too bad of a trip. But wait, then came the realization that I was going to have to go through it all again on the return trip. I hope that my information on my experiences has been helpful to you. Have a nice trip. Lew

     

Post a Comment

<< Home