turkey talk

Monday, September 08, 2008

Sunday in the park


Coffee and air conditioning what a good combination first thing in the morning. The hot weather has returned. I find it unbearable for a long length of time to endure the hot sun. Mom and I went to a Green Festival yesterday held at Riverside Park in New Smyrna Beach, Florida. The theme was mainly Solar. There were a few tents set up with companies trying to sell Solar attachments to water heaters and electric boxes. The saving wasn't great. I felt they were more trouble for a family the size of mom and I. It wasn't worth it. The best thing mom found for me was a park bench under a shade tree. I sat while she ventured out to see the rest of the exhibits. She saw someone getting a massage which she thought was interesting. She also got some free sea oats to plant. Mom and I shared a three dollar corn dog. I was kind of eyeing the ten dollar fried shrimp dinner which consist of fried shrimp and french fries. There was no salad or dinner roll to go with the meal. Mom thought it was too expensive for the content they were selling. The corn dog was tasty dipped in ketchup and mustard. The walk back to the car was extremely hot. We stopped back at the bench under the tree to cool down. It took a couple of minutes for me to regain the drive to make it the rest of the way back to the car. On the way back, I had to stop and pick up a 15 dollar butterfly plant I purchased which I thought was kind of pretty. This is the only other thing I bought at the festival. Mom pulled the car around so both me and the plant could get in and take an air conditioning ride back to the house.
It was actually a little cooler back at the house and the butterfly plant got to buddy up with the key lime tree on the side of the house next to the carport. Mom made me a cool slushy fruit drink once I was inside and cooling off. We did not venture out later to see a sunset on the Inter Coastal Waterway or look at the people on the beach at dusk. Instead, we clicked on the television set and watched" Sixty Minutes" with their story on Blue Fin Tuna and how the Japanese are catching them in great quantities for the purpose of making Sushi. Mom and I were kind of feeling sorry for the poor Tunas being trapped in nets, killed and stored in giant warehouses 75 degrees below zero.
Around 10 in the evening we caught the latest on the Cay lee/Casey story which was about the father George pushing some of the protesters back from his yard. The protesters filed battery charges which placed George into a lot of trouble. Meanwhile, Casey stayed hidden away in the house. Today she is suppose to meet with the home detention case worker who will set up a weekly schedule of when she can leave the house.
The picture above is a Segway. They were offering rides for 5 dollars, but I didn't try it out. I thought it interesting just to see other people use the device. I think it was an interesting day.

2 Comments:

  • At 6:43 AM, Blogger Lew said…

    They use the segways at Disney a lot to get around. Especially among crowds. They seem as though they would fall over but they don't seem to. I agree with that the food prices are outrageous at festivals nowadays. This was the case when we went to the art festival in Mount Dora. And it didn't matter which food vendor you went to, the prices were all the same, way too much. I take my own water now. I freeze a small bottle of water and place it into an insulated soft carrier with a shoulder strap. It is just too hot for most anything now. Yesterday I went outside and did a little trimming after lunch until I got hot and it was time for lunch. Then I went out again around 5:00 pm. The heat wasn't as intense so long as I was in the shade but the moment I stepped into the sun I was hot in about 30 seconds. Did your mom use a blender to make the slushee? What flavoring of syrup did you put into it? I got a sugar-free blueberry syrup from walmart. They had a lot of different flavors. I use popsicles to cool me off when I get hot. Plus some ice-water. Sometimes when I am working outside and I get real hot, I mist my clothing with water from the garden hose. Today is Walmart shopping day. We try not to go on weekends because of the crowds. It is so much more pleasant to do it on the week-days. Have a nice day. Lew

     
  • At 4:39 PM, Blogger Lew said…

    What color are the flowers of your butterfly plant? We have a number of butterflies visiting the flowers around the house. All different types and colors. Today Mary called my attention to a pretty bright yellow butterfly. I wonder if they would drink the nectar from a hummingbird feeder? Do you still see hummingbirds around your house? I have never seen one here. Perhaps I would see one if I put out a hummingbird feeder. Does your sister have hummingbirds at her place? They are so fascinating to watch. Have a good evening. Lew

     

Post a Comment

<< Home