turkey talk

Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Middle of the week bike memories


Many years ago I traveled the streets of Pine Hills, Florida by bicycle. I would take the back roads to Hastings and go for a Slurpee at the only 7-11 in the area. My parents worked near by in a little area next to a beauty shop and a child care center. They produced a newspaper once a week called The Sun of Pine Hills. The editor was my dad and my mom was his backup. I also went over to my friend's house Karen Jameson who was a couple of streets away. She was my best friend when I was growing up, but later got married and moved to Georgia. She has three almost grown children now and I barely ever talk to her. I also rode over to my other friends house named Julie Jefferies. She was a sweet girl and wanted to be a teacher when she got out of school. I lost track of her also. I have small bragging rites along with my best friend Karen. Before the 408 opened, at the time was know as the East-West Expressway, mom, dad,Karen and I rode bicycles downtown and back on the road which was not open to the public. We had the road to ourselves and we made the 14 mile trip with no injury. I was a bit tired. I had the worst of all the bicycles, but the rest of the group was patient with me. We all made it there and back together. This was the only time we went. A short time later the Expressway was opened to the public for car travel. The bicycles we use to have here at the beach have been tossed into the trash. They rusted real bad and we did not ride them often enough. The weather has been really hot and the humidity really thick. I feel like the bear in summer hibernation confined to the house for cool air conditioning. Today, mom and I travel back to Pine Hills where I spent my growing years. I turn in my former work badge and key. I participate in an exit interview. I have lunch with my friend Lillian before she gets married and moves to Delaware. Mom and I haven't made up our minds about Hanna, Ike and Josephine yet. The storms which could give us lots of wind and rain on the coastline. The weatherman says Hanna will be further out from the coastline which would be good for us. However,the weathman doesn't explain the paths of Ike and Josephine.

1 Comments:

  • At 6:18 AM, Blogger Lew said…

    You mean you got to ride on the 408 without having to pay a toll? Neat. Did you have a single speed bike? It is so much nicer to have a three or five speed. It makes going uphill or into the face of a strong breeze easier. When I lived in Phoenix I had a Schwinn single speed. I would go on the these long bike rides. I would go at a leisurely pace. But one time when I was a number of miles from the house a wind storm came up and I had to pedal into the wind. The going was so hard and I didn't think that I was ever going to get back home. It was too far to walk the bike so I had to pedal. I finally made it and was exhausted. Yeah, when you live next to the ocean everything rusts from the salt air. I was in an astronomy club in Phoenix and one of our members had lived in Florida. He said that living near the ocean, the salt air would corrode the reflective coatings on the telescopes (the reflecting type). Must be a sad day for you making leaving work final. I have been sad at every job that I have left except for the one in Sanford. Is it safe to assume that all of you will be going for Chinese food for lunch? Say hello to Lillian for me. She is going to just freeze in Deleware. The good part will be that she will be going shopping for an entire new winter wardrobe. Spend, spend, spend or perhaps charge, charge, charge. Be sure to take your camera with fresh batteries so that you can get pictures of the old homestead, neighborhood, and The Sun of Pine Hills location. It's nice to have pictures to look at and reminisce. The hibiscus flowers are really nice. Such a deep red color. Take care and enjoy your trip to Orlando. Lew

     

Post a Comment

<< Home