turkey talk

Sunday, October 05, 2008

What a zoo !


I got to collect eggs yesterday. I fed the chickens and the turkey. I also fed Gator and Velvet. This is a picture of Velvet and my sister Glendon together in the pasture. Velvet is learning to walk along with Glendon wearing a halter and being pulled with a lead rope. Glendon likes Velvet's sweet personality. She is very easy tempered with Glendon and with Gator. Both Gator and Velvet get along well together. They both share a feed bucket when it is time to eat. I find this rare among horses because the horses I have seen fight for their food. Glendon is enjoying them on her time away from her job. When Glendon goes to work she stays busy feeding horses and cleaning stalls. She washes water tubs and gives the horses hay. She will be doing this type of stuff when the cows come which will be soon. The cows are not ugly towards her, but she is intimidated by the size of their heads and bodies. I think she much prefer the horses. Mom and I did go to the Williston Peanut festival. Mom bought four jars of Williston peanut butter made with Williston peanuts. Mom saw Ms. Williston which was a young blond girl dressed all in green. Mom also got some unsalted peanuts which I have already devoured some of it. I bought a blanket with sea creatures for 20 bucks and mom bought a home made purse for five bucks. I ate some fried green tomatoes which had a deep bread coding with plenty of heart clogging oil. The tomatoes were to be dipped in a blue cheese dressing. I enjoyed some of it, but left alot of the breading. Mom bought me some five dollar earrings. They were home made and mainly wires that stuck through the ear piercing holes I have in my ears. I forgot to bring my standard fake pearl earrings which I mostly wear during the day. I also forgot to bring Glendon's jar of honey which I will have to remember for next time. The rooster just started crowing around four thirty in the morning. I am an early riser. It helps to have a cup of coffee to drink.The caffeine stimulates my brain. This was the last night to see the stars crisply gleaming in the sky. This is better than a planetarium. I broke up a rooster fight while I was here. One rooster is named Golden boy and the other rooster is named Feather duster. Golden boy had Feather duster trapped inside the open grill outside in a corner. I had kind of thought Feather duster was done for, because his head was hidden away. I chased Golden boy away and Feather duster soon emerged from the corner trying to get away from me. I grabbed Feather duster by the legs and he squawked like a chicken in distressed. I picked him up and his legs were shaking. His comb was a little bloody from the chicken fight and he kepted trying to shake his head. The blood was dripping from his comb which kind of bothered him. However, I think his ego was damaged more than anything. I guess roosters are instinctively known to fight to the death. Feather duster did try to eat my finger a couple of times. I did toss Feather duster back in the pen with the other hens. His ego soon made a almost perfect recovery. Golden boy tries to impress the hens outside the fence and Feather duster does this inside the fence. Golden boy sleeps in the tree outside in back of the tack room area. I have been loved by both of Glendon's dogs. One is named Solder and the other is named Morgan. They both like people very much. Glendon's three cats all have unique personalities. Mink is the female and cries all the time. One is totally black and Glendon calls him Midnight Cowboy. The other is Alley Cat which is her favorite. Alley Cat gets house privileges and sleeps on Glendon's bed all day long. He gets let out of the house when Glendon gets home from work. Mom and I pack up today and head for the beach. Glendon's friend Diane will take care of feeding the baby horses. I will just try to get some last minute camera shots before leaving for the beach.

2 Comments:

  • At 3:55 PM, Blogger Lew said…

    A good picture of the horse. The picture from yesterday had some sun reflection on the lens. I am glad that the horse is mild tempered. I think that I told you the story of trying to pull a bale of hay over a wooden fence using a hay hook. The hook broke loose from the bundle of hay as I was pulling it over the fence. The hay hook snapped back and hit a pony on the nose. That pony hated me ever since that event. I had to keep an eye on the pony and not turn my back to it because it was always trying to bite me. I tried everything that I could to be nice to the pony in the hopes of making up for the bop on the nose but nothing worked. The pony was unforgiving. This was in Pennsylvania. Feather duster is an appropriate name for a chicken because of their tail feathers. How many eggs do the chickens give each day on an average? Enjoy the cooling weather. Lew

     
  • At 4:59 PM, Blogger Lew said…

    One quick question. 3 of the 4 upright fence posts in the background have something white on the top of them. What is that? Also the dirt at Glendons feet looks either like sugar sand or a multiple colony of fire ant mounds. Which is it. I am continually battling fire ants. Destroy one colony and ants from another colony take up residence in the empty colony about a month later. Your sister has such a large property that if a fire ant colony ever got established and started spreading I think that it could end up being a real problem. Chickens. When we had the palomino in Miami we boarded the horse at a facility that had a large barn, fenced pastures, owners house, etc. We would go out to the site twice a day to feed the horse. There was a wooden box mounted on the fence for the grain. We gave the horse sweet feed. But the horse had a habit of grabbing a mouth of grain and raise his head up and out of the wooden box and look around while he was chewing the grain. Grain would fall from his mouth to the ground and the people who owned the facility had chickens that would dart in quick to get the grain that had fallen on the ground. It always bothered me that the chickens were being fed with my grain and the owner would collect their eggs. I didn't know how to get the horse to eat the garin more carefully and drop it to the waiting chickens. Lew

     

Post a Comment

<< Home