turkey talk

Tuesday, July 01, 2008

It's Tuesday July 1, 2008


This is a picture of an Indian Pow Wow being held at the Orlando Fair Grounds on Highway 50 many years ago. I remember the weather was quite hot and the Pow Wow was pretty entertaining. The dancers were in full costume and danced in a circle of people. The Indian women were from South America seen in the picture. They chose an Indian Princess and runners ups. There were crafts for sale along with food.
Speaking of food, I was reading an article in the Williston Pioneer newspaper on Blackberries. It talked a little about the varieties, but mostly concentrated on the nettle stinging plants that grow around the blackberries. There was little talked about how to consume the blackberries. The writer just talked about placing some sugar on them and maybe using them for preserves. There is so many other uses like blackberry pie, blackberry cobbler, blackberries on cereal, and blackberries cut up with other fruits. I don't remember the writer talking about how to preserve blackberries in the freezer. I have heard with blueberries you don't wash the fruit if you are going to freeze it. I wonder if this is how you treat blackberries? It was also not mentioned how distinctive the flavor is. Also, there is blackberry wine and blackberry brandy. If the writer, could not see three fruits blackberries, blueberries and raspberries on a table before her could she pick out the difference?
Also, does anyone remember the tenderloin sandwich? My mom and Uncle from California were saying how great Indiana made their tenderloin sandwiches. I thought my hot roast beef sandwich was pretty good yesterday at The Little Drug Store. They put lettuce, tomato and onion on my white toasted bread. Mom had the same sandwich, but she chose wheat bread toasted. I also had the fries which I shared with my mom. We took the two bags of chips home for our hot dog dinner. The roast beef was quite lean and lots of it on the sandwich. The Little Drug Store had lots of lunch customers at their soda fountain. The workers behind the counter had tee-shirts with their logo on the back which they proudly wore like a uniform. I saw at least five employees with The Little Drug Store logos on them. It is nice to see a little bit of American history still active in today's culture.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home