turkey talk

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

A trip for fun


Mom and I enjoyed another glorious evening traveling from New Smyrna Beach to the City of Edgewater. We ran the air conditioning in the car, because it was too hot outside with no breeze. We looked at the fancy two story houses along Riverside Drive. The houses had two car garages, windows which would extend from the top of the room all the way down to the floor. Plus, they looked like they extended outwards. It was kind of like a dome car on a train extending sideways; instead of, upwards to allow more room to see everything. My reaction was one of I would not like to be caught in one of those houses during a lightening storm or a storm with a lot of wind. The house may hold up well, but looking out the window would make me quiver to see the bad stuff , so close to where I live. My one story house is where I can pull my blinds closed and shut out the world. The lightening goes away. It can not penetrate through the colors of the blinds. I can still hear the wind, but I can not see it blow tree limbs or other things which come loose during stormy weather.
When we got to Edgewater, mom pulled into a park along the water front which was also a boat dock. It had a dedicated name, but I forgot the dedicated name. Mom found a spot right next to the walkway which was close to the water. The wind was blowing pretty steadily. I could see the palm trees looking like the American flag with wind in it's sail. The wind kept the heat out and it seemed pleasant with not many people around. There were people in lawn chairs with fishing lines extending over the pier's railing. However, the lines did not look as if any fish were tugging on the other end. The people were pretty relaxed and care free in their lawn chairs. There was an elderly guy at the far end and a young couple closer to the part of the pier which had a gazebo with a park bench . I went with my purse and my camera case to the bench to soak up some of the wind. When I sat down, I discovered three young boys creating mischief with their fishing line all pull out and entangle around the pillars looking like a cob web. I was thinking how interesting it would be if they had taken up kite flying. The boys finally got the fishing line wrapped back up. They had part of a fish carcass on the floor with flies on top. A knife had cut a portion off for fishing bait. Fortunately, the wind masked any odor which would come from the dead fish, so this was not an issue. I had a hard time finding water birds down in the area. The fishing seemed pretty good, but I only saw one pelican flying around on the wind currents and a couple of egrets hiding in the bush brush along the outskirts of the island across from the fishing pier. There were a couple of nice sunset pictures, I took with my camera. Plus, I got a picture of mom sitting on the bench. However, the ones she took of me did not turn out. We were getting ready to leave as the dog population increased. There was a small grey dog with a red bandanna around his neck named Bailey. His owner kept stating he was harmless, but he kept trying to impress people with his mightily low pitched growl to show he was in charge. Bailey did not hold his growl for long once he checked me out as being OK. I did enjoy seeing a bigger dog's hair brussel up as Bailey made his big impression with the bigger dog. This was only for a brief moment when mom and I started back to New Smyrna. Mom was driving while I watched the houses. When we crossed the big South bridge, this was the best view of all. I only could watch for a brief moment as we traveled across the bridge. The view of the Intercoastal Waterway extending out for miles with sail boats and other boats parked in the main channel. The height gave a feeling of power over the massive view this bridge provided. I wonder how many people have taken photo's from the top of the bridge? We arrived home safely in time for mom to watch mom's history show on Elvis. I got a bit tired with the show. I played on the computer and pretty soon it was time to call it a night.

1 Comments:

  • At 6:16 AM, Blogger Lew said…

    Nice bird picture. The neck looks funny like there was something in it like a fish or something. Maybe not. Maybe just normal anatomy. Birds have such a freedom in flying. But birds like this one only eat sushi (raw fish). Sushi may be alright on occassion but I don't think that I would like a steady diet of it. The last time that I got sushi from publix I got very sick from it. That incident will remain as "the last time that I got sushis at Publix" because I will never get it there again. Playing homage to the porcelain god isn't much fun. Sushi was my introduction to wasabi. Boy is that stuff hot. Chinese mustard pales in comparison to that green wasabi paste. I use to get the ready made sushi at the employees cafeteria at Baptist hospital in Miami and I never had any problems with it. A friend in Miami Sam introduced me to sushi when we went to lunch once. It is very fashionable to eat sushi but I would really rather have a big mac or whopper (and don't forget the fries). I think that the type of window that you are referring to is called a bay window. These have a great window ledge for sitting plants on so that they get lots of sun. Bay windows were popular a long, long time ago and have made a resurgence in more recent times. They are nice in that they put a little individuality in the style of a house. But I agree that the protrusion form the side of the house gives the hurricane winds something to grab onto. Do you put shutters or plywood over your windows when the hurricanes come. I had a Florida or family room in the hoiuse in Miami and the room was completely covered by windows on three sides. Long windows. Nothing but windows. No shutters. Now comes the really bad part. They were jalousies. And during hurricane andrew they made the loudest noise from constantly vibrating against one anothe. Hard to believe but not one of them broke during that terrible hurricane (or himmicane). Going to the library today to vote in the local elections. Have a cool day.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home