turkey talk

Friday, June 20, 2008

Rejoice ye coffee lovers It's Friday!!!

First, I wanted to start out with a funny story. My mom was telling me the reason our next door neighbor seeing the Police checking out the other neighbor's yard is the neighbor three houses down from us accidentally called 911 while cleaning the keys of her phone. I thought this to be a comedy situation like what you would see on Home Improvement. There was no harmful intent, but just a clear honest mistake. Now, I want to jump on my soapbox about the subject of feeding the Pelicans. I think the law makers have gone too far in presuming this to be a threat to the Pelicans. The Pelicans can still survive in the wild ; even if, you or I feed them. This is not like feeding an alligator. The Pelican is a moocher and loves to get fish where ever he is able. He hangs around fishermen thinking someone will give him a handout. The pelican will jump in the water to do his own fishing if no one feeds him and his supply runs dry. My question to the law makers is where are they when the Pelican gets a hook stuck in it's beak or neck? There is no one to maintain the well being of these birds. I can hear the night crickets from the kitchen. This sound dominates until sunrise.

2 Comments:

  • At 5:36 AM, Blogger Lew said…

    I agree. The fishing line that pelicans get entangled in is from loose line in the water that has been discarded. I knew a fellow once who told me that when he went fishing in a boat that the lines wears after a certain number of casts or after a certain number of times of being reeled out and reeled in. This weakens the line and every so often, once or twice a day he changes the line on the reel so as to not take a chance of the line breaking if he caught a fish. He said that he just puts the line into the water and, puts the reel so that the line readily comes off and just drives the boat for a distance and lets the line trail out. When the reel is empty he just cuts it leaving this extremely long fishing line in the water. I asked him if was worried about fish or turtles or crabs or shrimp or lobster got entangled in the line. He just non-chalantly (spelling?) shrugged his shoulders and said no. My respect and opinion of him dropped to zero. Such a disregard for life. Maybe they will pass a law making it illegal to feed crackers to the seagulls? Leftover pizza for lunch and then off to the movies. Have a coold day. Lew

     
  • At 5:49 AM, Blogger Lew said…

    Crickets. Let me tell you about crickets. I was working on the nught shift (11:00 pm to 7:00 am) in x-ray in a hospital. They had a room that I could get some sleep in if the work slowed down. One slow night I decided to get some rest. I went to the room, shut off the light and got in bed. Then it started; chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp. You get the idea. I got up and turned on the light to search for the bothersome cricket. As soon as I turned the light on the cricket stopped chirping. I searched where the noise seemed to be coming from but no luck. I turned the light off and went back to bed. Chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp. Now I am getting annoyed. I get up and turn on the light. The chirping stops as soon as the light came on. I search once again but to no avail. I shut off the light and went back to bed. You can guess what happened then. Over and over again. The cricket kept it up and I didn't get any sleep. After an hour I got up, got dressed and went to the x-ray department where I tried to get some sleep sitting in a chair. Crickets! However I do like Jimmy Cricket from Pinnochio. He had class. He dressed in a coat with tails and wore a tophat. Chirp, chirp, chirp. Lew

     

Post a Comment

<< Home